How to Choose A Great Personal Injury Attorney
Choosing the right personal injury trial attorney is not difficult if you know the right questions to ask. Begin your search on the internet with the words “personal injury attorney” plus your location.
This will provide you several names of local attorneys plus some sites that “refer attorneys” or are otherwise paid ads. Call or email 2-3 attorneys and ask them to answer the following:
- How many personal injury cases have you taken to a jury trial?
- What kind of experts have you hired for your clients?
- What % of your cases are personal injury cases?
- Have you handled cases similar to mine? How many and with what outcome?
- Are you willing to advance litigation expenses?
- Are you a member of any attorney organizations which primarily help injury victims?
- Are you Board Certified?
The answers to these questions should indicate whether the attorney is an experienced and successful personal injury trial attorney.
You want an attorney who is willing to and has gone to trial. Insurance companies know which attorneys takes cases to trial. Attorneys who have not tried jury cases are not likely to command the respect to get you a fair offer.
If the attorney is not willing to advance expenses then you will be stuck advancing them yourself and you may not be in a position to do so. If that is the case then your case will have to be settled, likely cheaply.
The answers to these questions allow you to sit down in the attorney’s office and decide, after meeting the attorney, if this is a person you can have confidence in to get you full and fair compensation for your injury.